Alvah H. & Wyline P. Chapman Foundation Home History Foundation Interests Officers & Directors Application Guidelines Grant Materials Contact Us
Alvah H. Chapman

Alvah Herman Chapman, Sr.
  Wyline P. Chapman

Wyline Page Chapman
 

The Foundation was created in 1967 to honor and memorialize Alvah H. and Wyline P. Chapman and to perpetuate their charity and concern for others.

Alvah H. Chapman was President of the R.W. Page Corporation of Columbus, GA from 1937 to 1961, which owned three newspapers as well as television and radio stations. During his lifetime, Mr. Chapman was recognized for his level of professionalism, as well as his numerous acts of kindness and generosity to members of his community, his support of the Methodist Church, and his leadership as campaign chairman of United Givers, Inc., the forerunner of United Way. Long concerned about lack of affordable and available housing for the poor in his community, Mr. Chapman served on the board of the Columbus Housing Authority for more than 22 years.

The Foundation also honors Wyline Page Chapman, whose lifelong history of service to her community and her church were an inspiration to her family and all who knew her. The Salvation Army was at the forefront of Mrs. Chapman's interests as she was a lifetime member of the Columbus Salvation Army Board of Directors, and organized the Service Club for Underprivileged Children while living in Bradenton, FL.

The lives led by Mr. and Mrs. Chapman compelled their descendants to perpetuate their memories and good names with a charitable foundation that would continue their good work.

The trustees and members of the Foundation are the direct descendants (and spouses) of Alvah H. and Wyline P. Chapman, including their children, the late Alvah H. Chapman, Jr. and Wyline C. Sayler.